Three family members and maid die after eating poisoned food in Enugu







Three family members and their maid have died after eating a meal suspected to have been poisoned.

The tragic incident occurred in Ugbo Paul, a suburb of Abakpa Nike, in Enugu East council area of Enugu State and it was learnt that only the family's nine-month-old baby girl survived as she was not fed with the food.

Those who died have been identified as Mr Lawrence Chukwu; his wife, Chizoba; their daughter, Nazareth; and the maid, Ukamaka.

Their neighbor, Mrs Dominic Gloria told Punch;

“We woke up on Saturday morning and found the family members struggling for life. We didn’t know what was wrong with them and they were immediately rushed to the 82 Division Army Hospital. Later that day, their maid died.

“After a series of tests, we learnt that the food they ate before they went to sleep on Friday night was contaminated with a poisonous substance. Unfortunately, all efforts to save them failed, as the man and his wife died on Saturday, and on Tuesday morning, their two-year-old daughter equally died."

Mother of late Chizoba, Mrs Elizabeth Nwankwo, confirmed the incident and told the publication;

“So, when I got there, I saw my daughter and her husband lying speechless. I took the remains of the house help to her parents for burial and before I came back, my daughter and her husband had equally died. This morning (Tuesday), their two-year-old daughter that I was hoping would survive died."

Mrs Nwankwo said the remains of her grandchild had been taken to her home town in Ameta Mgbo, in the Awgu LGA of Enugu State for burial, while the bodies of the couple were in a morgue.

She said the hospital informed her that the food the family ate before going to bed was contaminated with a poisonous substance.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post